August 4th, 2010 - Centro Naguake - Yabucoa - 1:30pm
The Council of Elders of the Liga Guakia Taina ke (Nuestra Tierra Taina) met in the Naguake Center in Yabucoa to discuss and review the evidence presented by Dr. Melendez, Mr. Cesar Medina, Abuela Yarimari, and Gamaliel Diaz.
Decision of the Council of Elders of the Liga Guakia Taina-ke:
We the Council of Elder make the following recommendations:
- Ms. Elba Lugo, Ms. Vanessa Pastrano, and Grandmother Shachira should offer a public apology to the Liga and other organizations that were prevented from participating in the Peace and Dignity Journey. This will serve to repair some of the damages and restore some level of credibility to their respective organizations.
- Ms. Elba Lugo, Ms. Vanessa Pastrana, and Grandmother Shachira; must accompany Dr. Melendez to to make some type appeasement, in order to repair relations with municipal governments that invested time, effort and funds in preparation for Journey.
- That the organizers of the Journey – Consejo de Tainos Borincanos and Ms. Pastrano - refund la Liga Guakia Taina ke for the expenses made in preparation for the Journey.
- That in future collaborative events, such as the Journey, an outside overseer be assigned to prevent manipulation and usurpation by other organizations.
- That the Peace and Dignity Journey be held in the Liga’s region in 2011, with the participation of all organizations (indigenous and non-indigenous) and communities in the planning and organizing of the event.(Note: Dr. Melendez objects to the participation of the Consejo de Tainos Borincanos (Ms. Elba Lugo) and Ms. Vanessa Pastrano. The Consejo de Abuelas(o) will reconsider her recommendation in our September 2010 meeting.)
- Considering Caguana is a public place (tourist attraction), the Liga should be allowed to publish the photos and videos it has in its possession in the Internet. Photos and images showing unruly, aggressive or antisocial behavior will not be placed in the Internet.
- Considering both Lugo and Pastrano are members of the United Confederation of Taino People (UCTP), we recommend they go before a UCTP review board or committee.
The strongest piece of evidence in support of these recommendations were the email exchanges between Dra. Melendez, Ms. Elba “Anaca” Lugo, Mr. Jose Malvido, and Ms. Vanessa Pastrano (Ina). We also took into strong consideration the photos and videos clips taken on July 25th in Caguana. These clearly show that Dr. Melendez on repeated occasions tried to obtain concise information of the Journey. Copies of these emails were also sent to Mr Borrero by both parties involved in this incident.